from Sweetwater Press

Friday, February 23, 2007

Observing the "Everyday"


The icy winds which prevailed over the weekend have blown away to distant shores. Other than two days of rain, this week turned out to be quite pleasant. While driving to work yesterday, I noticed a splotch of color off to my right. A long row of bright yellow daffodils nodded as I passed. My first Spring sign! And a prompt for me to begin carrying my camera with me so I can capture the awakening of the land. Also a prompt to clear my eyes of Winter sleep and become more observant.

I don't mind commuting, especially since I don't have to sit in stand-still traffic for hours. For me, the commute becomes a time of transition between work and home. If I've had a rough day at work or have a lot on my mind on the home front, the commute affords me time to unwind. When I arrive at my destination I am calmer and able to focus on whatever task is at hand. We can become so emeshed in our own tiny worlds that we sometimes miss what is happening around us. As I drive along, I observe the larger world around me. Each season offers a different view of this world, but it is the day-to-day changes that I become more keenly aware of. I note the changing patterns of the clouds, the slant of the suns rays, and seek to find the tiny rainbows that often appear when one cloud cries on another's shoulder. I doubt most of the commuters around me see this phenomena. I have seen a solitary deer, half-hidden by bracken, winding its way down a hillside. I look for the flock of ducks that reside in a pond along the way. What are they doing today? Are they beside the road eating, swimming lazily in the pond, or huddled together for warmth?

As you learn more about writing, study the world around you and practice writing about what you see. Describe not only the colors of the evening sky, but the mood it evokes. Pay attention to how it makes you feel and describe those feelings. When you are out in public shopping, or at a restuarant, observe what other people are doing. Describe what you see or hear, the mood of the people, and the atmosphere of the place. What time of day is it? Does the time of day have any bearing on what is happening, or how people seem to be feeling? I'm sure you have heard this all before, but by honing your observance skills, you sharpen your writing skills. Your reader will not only see the scene you describe, but will feel the emotions surrounding the scene.

So, get out and ramble! Observe the "everyday." Take along a notebook--and a camera--to record what you see. Spring is just around the corner. I've already had a preview, how about you? More on observance later, meanwhile, happy rambling.

StellaD

No comments: