from Sweetwater Press

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What's Your Type?

Another lovely day! No one should have to work on a day like today. My apologies to my friends up North who may still be snowed in. I have just returned from a jaunt uptown to price some printers for the computer. Yes, I could have saved the time and gas by looking it up online, but I couldn't resist getting out and enjoying the spring-like warmth. Then I started thinking about all the different types of rambling. To clarify, you don't have to be a nature-lover to be a rambler. You may like to visit different cities or towns and look for eclectic restaurants or antique shops. You may enjoy yard sales or flea markets. You may be a history buff or interested in unique building architecture.

Unless I am on a strict schedule, I seldom hesitate to stop at small towns when I am rambling around. Usually something will catch my eye and entice me to stop. It could be hand-made quilts or woodwork sitting outside the door, or I might see something that I wish to photograph.
Ice-cream shops are my bane, especially the little Mom and Pop type shops or stands. Nothing beats an ice-cream cone packed with hefty scoops of your favorite flavor. And a milkshake made the old-fashioned way tastes so different than one from a fast food restaurant.

For writers, small towns can hold a wealth of story ideas. Park your car and walk down the sidewalk. Notice the landscaping, or lack of it. What period does the architecture appear to be from? Poke around in some of the shops. Talk to the shopkeepers and other locals. Ask which restaurant they recommend and try it out. Ask about the history of the shop or the town and really listen to the answers. If you want to photograph something in the shop, ask for permission. If they have business cards, take one, and leave one of yours with them. Ask if they have a website. This is a great way to be able to double-check information later. Always be courteous. Thank them for their time and suggestions. But above all, relax and enjoy yourself.

Happy Rambling!
StellaD

No comments: