from Sweetwater Press

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Restless Spirit

Gloriously warm days herald the coming of Spring. The clover by the steps is blooming and buzzing with bee activity. I sat on the front steps for awhile and watched the little golden bees as they hoovered over first one clover-flower and then another. Soon, I will have to weed the flower bed; for now, I will leave the clover to the bees. The warm air makes me feel sleepy, yet at the same time, I feel an awakening deep inside. Like a bear waking from a long hibernation, my rambling spirit awakens, hungry for adventure. I am ready to grab my camera, gas up the truck and go! First, I have to pack my ramblin' bag. Long years exploring country roads have taught me that those roads can lead anywhere....or nowhere. Since it's often 'nowhere', it's best to be prepared. So, what's in the bag?

1) A flannel shirt. When the sun dips toward the horizon it can turn cool quickly, especially in early spring or fall. A jacket or a long-sleeved shirt is a must have. Pack a hat, too.
2) Sketch book/pencils. I pack a spiral sketch book, along with a set of drawing pencils and an ink pen. In this I can make sketches and write journal entries.
3) A Book. I have a favorite 'light read' book that I take along. If I'm going to spend the day at the lake or state park, I like to have something to read while relaxing.
4) A blanket. Just a lap throw that can be used to sit on or to wrap around you if it gets cool. A thick beach towel works well for this, too.
5) Snacks. Whatever you like. I pack a can of my favorite nuts, granola bars, and maybe a pack of crackers. Chocolate melts, so I skip candy bars and pack fruit instead.
6) Hand Wipes. A small pack of baby wipes does the trick here, along with a bottle of sanitizing hand wash.
7) First Aid Kit. Mine is just a plastic box with band aids, alcohol pads, an Ace bandage, something for headache and some anti-itch creme.

Your bag can contain whatever you wish to carry for a day-trip. These are the basics that make up my ramblin' bag. It may seem like a lot, but an average school backpack can usually handle the load. One with a pocket for a water bottle is a plus. It's important to stay hydrated. I put an insulated jug filled with ice water in the truck and use it to refill my water bottle. If you are on a medication, carry your meds with you and take them at the proper time. You can find pill cases at your local pharmacy or dollar store. Take the time to think about what you want in your ramblin' bag and start packing. In another week, we're heading up the road to Aunt Sue's for ice-cream and entertainment. See you there!

StellaD



No comments: